Inrix 2021 Global Traffic Scorecard
The 2021 Global Traffic Scorecard provides three years of mobility data for a more granular and holistic analysis of mobility within the world’s most congested cities. It continues to include travel delay comparisons, collision trends and last-mile speeds based on the unique commuting patterns within each metro area. Trips to downtown were also measured more in-depth in the 2021 Scorecard given the impact of COVID-19 on employment hubs.DOWNLOAD REPORT SEE CITY RANKINGS
A big study using big data
The global pandemic, and related government shutdowns, had dramatic and varying impacts on how much people drove in 2021.
- United States
- United Kingdom
Select a country to see the top 5 cities with the largest delay.
Collisions changed from last year…
X% in the United States
X% in the United Kingdom
X% in Germany
X% in Spain
X% in Canada
… and became more deadly over time.
As traffic volume dropped due to the global pandemic, vehicle speeds increased, which has played a significant role in the rise of fatality rates around the world.
Year Over-Year Trips to Downtown
Work-from-home policies, restaurant, entertainment, fitness and other brick-and-mortar closures, along with limits on gatherings, had an outsized effect in the densest parts of each region.
COVID’s global effect on transportation
Hours Saved from Pre-COVID
Hours Lost in 2021
Change in Last Mile Speeds Compared to Pre-COVID
Year-Over-Year Change in Collisions
Fewer vehicles on the road in 2021 resulted in drivers saving money due to the lack of congestionDownload the report
2021 INRIX Global Traffic Scorecard Interactive Ranking & City Dashboards
Key Information & Definitions
- Urban Area: The geographic scope of a city as defined by its road network density.
- Impact Rank: A calculated commute based upon a city’s population and the delay attributable to congestion.
- Hours Lost in Congestion: The total number of hours lost in congestion during peak commute periods compared to free-flow conditions.
- Incident Impact: The influence of incidents on travel time delays.
- Year-Over-Year Change: The percentage difference in hours lost in congestion in 2020 compared to 2019.
- Vehicle-Miles Traveled (VMT): The amount of passenger travel within a geography for a specified time period.
- Inner City Last-Mile Speed: The speed at which a driver can expect to travel one mile into the central business district during peak hours.
- Bike and Public Transport Access: Commute mode travel time comparisons
|Urban Area||Impact Rank
|Hours Lost in Congestion
|Change from Pre-COVID||Last Mile Speed (mph)|
Download the Full Report
Want to learn more about how the COVID-19 pandemic affected traffic worldwide? Download the report to learn more.DOWNLOAD THE REPORT
Press ReleasesView All Press Releases
INRIX to Showcase Newest Features and Improvements in Signal Analytics at ITS World Congress
KIRKLAND, Wash. – September 16, 2022 – INRIX Inc., a world leader in mobility analytics and connected car services, today...
Sep 16, 2022
Drivers set to embark on more than 12m leisure trips over last bank holiday for most this side of Christmas
KIRKLAND, Wash. – August 25, 2022 – The RAC expects Friday to be the most popular day for getting away...
Aug 25, 2022
INRIX Signal Analytics Selected by Florida DOT to Improve Safety and Mobility Statewide
KIRKLAND, Wash. – August 22, 2022 – INRIX Inc., a world leader in mobility analytics and connected car services, today...
Aug 22, 2022
On-Demand Webinar: Signal Analytics User Group Meeting September 2022
This September, experts from INRIX discuss new features, use cases, and how to get the most value out of your...
Sep 19, 2022
Safety View by INRIX and GM Future Roads
Sep 16, 2022
SS4A Application Guide: Applying for the SS4A is Easier Than You Might Think
Aug 31, 2022