The first round of grant funding for the Safe Streets and Roads for All (SS4A) program was announced on February 1, 2023, with a total of $800 million in grants awarded to 510 agencies who applied. The initial grant awards represent an important achievement for the SS4A Grant Program and a positive advancement towards establishing safer and equitable communities that benefit all road users.
It’s an exciting time for transportation professionals, safety advocates and communities across the country. These awards will play a crucial role in reducing roadway fatalities and ensuring that our streets are safer for everyone, regardless of how they travel.
In this blog, we will explore what the next steps are for SS4A Action Plan and Implementation Grant winners, as well as provide tips and resources for agencies who want to apply in the future.
Please be sure to watch our webinar on this topic for additional details:
>>On-Demand Webinar: SS4A Recipients Have Been Announced: What Comes Next?
What Comes Next for SS4A Action Plan Grant Winners?
If you were one of the 473 communities who were awarded an Action Plan Grant in 2023, congratulations! These grants will play a crucial role in reducing roadway fatalities and improving road safety for communities across the country. The first round of Action Plan Grant awards will benefit over half the United States’ population, and they will provide funding to communities that either do not have a roadway safety plan in place or want to build upon an existing one. (SOURCE: US DOT. “SS4A 2022 Awards: https://www.transportation.gov/grants/ss4a/2022-awards)
Here are a few steps that Action Plan Grant winners can take now that they’ve got the funding needed to build a Safety Action Plan:
- Assess current road safety conditions:
Before you can begin building an action plan, it’s important to have a good understanding of the current road safety conditions in your community. This will help you identify problem areas and prioritize solutions. We recommend using a safety analytics tool like Safety View to get a holistic view of your community to quickly pinpoint areas to target with road safety improvement measures.
- Review best practices and models:
There are many successful road safety programs and initiatives that have been implemented in other communities. Take the time to review these programs and identify what has worked well and what can be adapted for your community. Join our upcoming webinar to get more details about the types of safety data that exist and what best practices to take into account when building your plan.
- Engage with stakeholders:
Building a road safety plan is not something that can be done in isolation. It’s important to engage with a wide range of stakeholders, including community members, local businesses, and other transportation agencies. This will help ensure that your action plan is aligned with the needs and priorities of your community.
- Develop a timeline:
Establishing a timeline for your action plan is critical. This will help keep you on track and ensure that you meet deadlines. It will also help you prioritize tasks and allocate resources effectively.
With these steps in mind, you’re well on your way to developing a successful and impactful road safety action plan. The funding provided by the SS4A Action Plan Grant will help lay the groundwork for a comprehensive set of actions that will make our roads safer for everyone.
What Comes Next for SS4A Implementation Grant Winners?
If you were one of the lucky 37 communities who were awarded an SS4A Implementation Grant, you now have the funds to implement the projects identified in your action plan to make a positive impact on roadway safety in your community
The implementation grants awarded in 2023 will have a significant impact on the safety of vulnerable road users, including people walking, biking, and using public transit, as well as people with disabilities. Over 90% of awards will improve the safety of people walking, over 80% will improve the safety of people biking, and nearly two-thirds of awards will provide safety benefits to public transit users and persons with disabilities.( Source: USDOT. SS4A 2022 Awards: Implementation Grants: https://www.transportation.gov/grants/ss4a/2022-awards-implementation-grants)
Here are a few steps that Implementation Grant winners can take to start bringing their safety improvement projects to life:
- Review your Action Plan: Before you begin implementation, take a moment to review your action plan. Ensure that you have all the necessary resources and funding in place and make any necessary updates or revisions to the plan.
- Engage Key Stakeholders: Implementation is a collaborative effort that requires engagement with a wide range of stakeholders. This includes community members, local businesses, transportation agencies, and other key partners. Engaging with stakeholders early on will help ensure that your implementation efforts are well received and supported.
- Develop a Detailed Implementation plan: Developing a clear plan is the foundation of a successful project. The first step is to map out your process from start to finish and identify the critical aspects needed to achieve the project goals. Your implementation plan should include a timeline, budget, and clear assignments for tasks and responsibilities. This will help keep you on track and ensure that you are able to effectively allocate resources.
- Build Your Implementation Dream Team:
If your project requires a combination of in-house support and outside consultants, determine the necessary expertise and develop selection criteria that include relevant qualifications and evidence of past success completing similar projects. To ensure that everyone involved in the project understands the necessary requirements and their roles, communicate clearly and effectively.
- Monitor progress and track outcomes: Regularly monitoring progress and tracking outcomes is essential to ensuring the success of your implementation efforts. This will help you identify any obstacles that may arise and make any necessary course corrections. Safety View can help you measure your progress towards your Vision Zero goals– request a free demo to learn more!
By following these steps, you can take significant strides towards successfully implementing your road safety plan and making a tangible impact in your community. With the support of the SS4A Implementation Grant, you can transform your vision for safer roads into reality.
How Can You Prepare for the Next Round of SS4A Funding in 2023?
For communities that did not apply for the SS4A Grant Program in the first round, there is still an opportunity to apply for the next round of funding in 2023. Here are some steps that these communities can take in order to prepare themselves for the next round funding:
- Review the Grant Guidelines: Before applying, make sure to read the official grant guidelines carefully and ensure that your community meets all the eligibility requirements.
- Assess your Community’s Roadway Safety Needs: Take a closer look at your community’s roadway safety needs and identify areas that require improvement. This will help you prioritize your grant request when the time comes. Software like Safety View can help you get quickly the data and insights needed to include make your application more competitive.
- Start Building Partnerships: Building partnerships with other community organizations, businesses, and stakeholders will be key to your success. By working together, you can help build momentum and gain support for your grant request.
- Stay informed: Monitor the USDOT’s website and subscribe to stay informed about the SS4A Grant Program and any updates or changes that may occur. By doing so, you will be notified of important dates and deadlines for the grant program, as well as receive regular updates about the program’s progress and initiatives. You can also follow the Department of Transportation’s social media accounts, where they frequently post updates about the SS4A Grant Program and other transportation-related initiatives. Networking with other transportation professionals and agencies that have previously applied for the grant can also provide valuable insight and information about the grant application process.
By staying informed and prepared, transportation professionals and agencies will be in a better position to successfully apply for the next round of SS4A funding and continue building safer and more equitable communities for all road users
The SS4A is Leading the Way Towards A Safer Future:
At the heart of the SS4A Grant Program is a commitment to improving roadway safety for all users, and the first round of funding will help communities take important steps toward this goal.
More than 510 agencies now have the funds to turbocharge their Vision Zero planning efforts and to turn their plans for improving road safety into a reality.
The next steps for the SS4A Grant Program and the results are sure to be just as exciting, and we can’t wait to see the positive impact that this program will have on communities across the country.
- US DOT. “SS4A 2022 Awards | US Department of Transportation.” Department of Transportation, 1 February 2023,
- US DOT. “SS4A 2022 Awards: Implementation Grants | US Department of Transportation.” Department of Transportation, 1 February 2023, https://www.transportation.gov/grants/ss4a/2022-awards-implementation-grants.